So it’s my favourite time of year – lights shining bright, sweet-smelling homes, frosty toes and all the delicious food. There’s no other holiday that makes me smile. I enjoy all things Christmas — well, maybe not how busy malls can be and the rude attitudes of some people. Either way, Christmas brings me so much joy.
I spend hours making cards, making cookies and perfecting our household decorations. Every year, I try to beat the year before. As I’ve gotten older though, christmas means different things to me. It means more time with my family and my friends. Every one has grown in so many different ways – some have travelled, some have started families, others have left us.
Anyway, I wanted to share some things that make my Christmas special:
- Crafting – I’m obsessed with making my christmas cards for my friends. I like to make every single one with details that make me think of them. I love spending time on the details, what I will write in them and my favourite part is when they let me know they’ve recieved them. I’m the corniest person you’ll ever meet, so I’ll probably write something sappy or annoyingly lame.
- Decorating – As I started a new job with my own desk, christmas meant something different to me. I, not only got to decorate my room or my house, my desk was another space that I enjoyed decorating. Our department decided to decorate in the most wonderful way. Our theme was winter wonderland. Snowflakes, lights, and smiles. The reaction we received was positive, there’s nothing like seeing people light up over something so simple. I’m obsessed with decorating!
- Baking – I cannot wait to start baking. It’s a problem. I will bombard my family and friends with baked goods. From gingerbread men, sugar cookies to rice krispy squares. Sometimes cakes and sometimes pies. I love to bake, there’s nothing like holiday baking. I could do this for days!
- Adventures – The holidays are never short of fun things to do. Although, some can be pricey, my favourite adventure of all time is seeing people decorate their homes. I love driving around and seeing how people will go above and beyond. I also enjoy going to different malls or parks with lit up trees. I have an obsession with Christmas trees. I love them! In Vancouver, there are so many things to do. We have a Christmas Maze, Christmas Markets, Christmas scenes. There’s always something to do for everyone. I love it!
- Parties – The one thing I enjoy about the holidays is our annual christmas party at my house. It’s a recently new tradition but there’s nothing like the company of my closest friends, playing games and eating everything in sight!
I’m such a goof when it comes to Christmas. I know I haven’t written in awhile, but I wanted to share what I love most about Christmas. It’s just the happiness of sharing joy with others. It’s the comfort of my knits and sweaters. The sweetness of hot cocoa and baked goods. The smile of children when they see Santa. This Christmas, I hope to spread joy. I hope to make it the best one yet.